- Plural of transducer
A transducer is a device, usually electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical, electromagnetic, photonic, or photovoltaic that converts one type of energy or physical attribute to another for various purposes including measurement or information transfer (for example, pressure sensors).
The term transducer is commonly used in two senses; the sensor, used to detect a parameter in one form and report it in another (usually an electrical or digital signal), and the audio loudspeaker, which converts electrical voltage variations representing music or speech, to mechanical cone vibration and hence vibrates air molecules creating acoustical energy.
Types of transducersThis list is confined to the narrower definition of the term.
- Antenna - converts electromagnetic waves into electric current and vice versa.
- Cathode ray tube (CRT) - converts electrical signals into visual form
- Fluorescent lamp, light bulb - converts electrical power into visible light
- Magnetic cartridge - converts motion into electrical form
- Photodetector or Photoresistor (LDR) - converts changes in light levels into resistance changes
- Tape head - converts changing magnetic fields into electrical form
- Hall effect sensor - converts a magnetic field level into electrical form only.
- Electromechanical (electromechanical output devices are generically called actuators):
- Geophone - convert a ground movement (displacement) into voltage
- Gramophone pick-up
- Hydrophone - converts changes in water pressure into an electrical form
- Loudspeaker, earphone - converts changes in electrical signals into acoustic form
- Microphone - converts changes in air pressure into an electrical signal
- Piezoelectric crystal - converts pressure changes into electrical form
- Tactile transducer
- J. Allocca and A. Stuart, Transducers: Theory and Application, Reston 1984.
transducers in Bengali: পরিবর্তক
transducers in Danish: Transducer
transducers in German: Sensor
transducers in Spanish: Transductor
transducers in French: Transducteur
transducers in Italian: Trasduttore
transducers in Hebrew: מתמר
transducers in Malay (macrolanguage): Pemindah
transducers in Dutch: Transducent
transducers in Japanese: トランスデューサー
transducers in Norwegian Nynorsk: Transdusar
transducers in Portuguese: Transdutor
transducers in Sundanese: Transduser